Saturday 24 October 2015

Class Log 1

FIRST THINGS FIRST

TASK 1

  Step 1

      I remember the first lesson of my Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) course at university. I heard some rumors about this lesson. All the people who took this course before said that it was a hard course and you would have to spare your time so much in order to meet expectations of the course.  Actually I showed the white feather when I heard these rumors. But my teacher was good at her work and I could understand this even in the first lesson so I felt relax. I didn’t hear only bad things about this course. I heard that this course was so funny because you were studying in order to prepare perfect lessons for children. Sometimes we acted like a queen and dressed up according to it. Sometimes we acted as if we were a dog. We used puppets, music, role-play and something like that. I felt happy and excited for the course in the first lesson.

Step 2

2-    a) In the first lesson, the teacher gave us some information about the course like the evaluation criteria and course requirements. Because I was at university, it was supposed to be, it’s normal. All the teacher in the department were used to do in their first lessons. So I didn’t have any different and interesting dreams about the course.
       b) As a learner, I am an introverted person so I don’t want to be asked a question in an unpreparedly way in the first lesson. I feel embarrassed, If I can’t answer the question. Because it is the first lesson, I feel like something missing. That’s my dread.

4-    As a teacher, I would like to seem so well-qualified and wise in my first lesson. The most important point for the first impression is being able to making up an autocratic atmosphere from the first minute of the lesson because I believe in that all the feelings like trust or affection are shaped in the first moments.

TASK 2

Actions in First Lessons      
Underlying Beliefs
      1.      
      2.      
      3.      
      4.      
      5.      
      6.      
      7.      
      8.      
A, İ, H
A, B, İ
E, F, H
B, D, G
K, İ, F
F
F, H, J
J











TASK 3

Step 1
FOCUS QUESTIONS

Activity A – Reverse role-play
  1-      The main aim of the activity is communication and developing speaking skills.
  2-      I think this activity is appropriate for adult learners. The level of the activity is so high maybe B2 or more.
  3-      The activity is innovating exciting because you are trying to learn something about the other person so it can be suitable for the first lesson.
  4-      I think the activity isn’t so problematic but the practice of it can be a bit confusing. If it is applied to the right group and in the right time, it might be useful and interesting.

Activity B – Making Rules
  1-      The activity aims to determine the class rules.
  2-      The target group might be children who is taking the English course for the first time.
  3-      I like that ss can add rules and can say their opinions about the rules freely.
  4-      This is a good activity. In the Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) course, I learned that making rules in the beginning of the semester is a must and so important.

Activity C – Names
  1-      The activity aims to teach “What is your name?” structure to the ss and give opportunity to introduce themselves.
  2-      The target group might be children who is taking the English course for the first time.
  3-      It is so useful activity for ss in order to learn each other’s names.
  4-      But after a while, it can be boring. I would like to change this activity. I think ss should use the “What is your name?” structure from the beginning of the activity, not when they forgot the names.

Activity D – Questions First
  1-      This activity has both linguistic and introducing aims.
  2-      It is for teenagers and pre-intermediate ss.
  3-      It is effective for knowing something about people.
  4-      Maybe some ss do not want to answer the questions because of the fact that they can find the questions so personal that’s a limitation.

Activity E – Questionnaire
  1-      The aim is gathering information about the students.
  2-      Due to the level of the questions, it is appropriate for pre-intermediate students. And for adults or teenagers.
  3-      It might be informative about students so we can shape our lessons according to the needs of our learners.
  4-      It is so boring activity. If I were the students who take this lesson, I would feel so bored. It can be developed. The paragraph writing part is useless. I hate this activity.

Activity F – Drawing My Life
  1-      Again the aim of activity is to gather information about ss and to give opportunity to ss for knowing each other.
  2-      It can be so funny activity for children, maybe teenagers.
  3-      I like this activity so much because it is so structure and predetermined before. And of course it is so funny.
  4-      I think it is perfect and both as a learner and as a teacher I would like this activity to be applied in my lesson.

Step 2
 
First English Lesson           Possible                                             Activity
      
(I)                                          -   C
(II)                                        -   F
(III)                                      -   D
(IV)                                      -   B
(V)                                        -   A
(VI)                                      -   E
(VII)                                    -   D




No comments:

Post a Comment