Sunday 25 October 2015

Class Log 2

Student Teacher: Özlem Özkan
Date: 21.10.2015
       It was my first observation experience. Our mentor teacher is Ece Susam Karabulut. She has been an English teacher for 5-6 years so she is an experienced one. 
       Firstly my friends and me went to the 8/B class for observation. I was very excited. And then we had a seat randomly, mostly back seats. Students are hardworking and they will enter the TEOG exam in two months. So they think that they need English just for passing this exam that's sad. Because of this, our mentor teacher's aim is to teach them enough English to pass this exam. She is following the coursebook ( I think It was given by Ministery of Education.) so densely. 
      The subject of the lesson was Simple Present Tense. Teacher finished the presentation part before we came so they were doing exercise for reinforcing. While they are doing that, we helped them. And I observed that they have a difficulty in using 'be' as 'am, is, are' in sentence. There was no one (as far as I saw) in the class who could use this structure correctly. I think this point is difficult for them and need emphasis. And also students have problem with pronuncing the words correctly. They are making fun of each other when they cannot pronunce a word correctly. Teacher warned them about this. 
     Teacher explained the difference between 'What does s/he like?' and 'What's your brother like?' structures which can be beneficial for them. She was using L1 while teaching the lesson so I couldn't observe any interesting or useful language appearing in the instructor's procedural language.
    If I were to teach this lesson again, I would and should make so many modifications. Because she is using exactly Grammar-Translation method. Actually that's very common in Turkey.I could use variety of activities by teaching this lesson for example; games, songs, puzzles and so on. It could be so a funny lesson. 
    After the lesson, our mentor teacher explained the situation. She said that they are very spoiled children so sometimes you have to be even sulky to be able to create authocracy. I think she is right and that's what I learned from this observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment